In celebration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Centennial, our recipe developers revamped popular dishes from the early 1900s. Flavor updates and healthful tweaks transform these meals into modern-day favorites. Check out other “Vintage Vittles” recipes here.
The classic deviled egg gets a flavor makeover with sun-dried tomatoes, basil and a crunchy breadcrumb topping.
Serving size: 2 egg halves (75 grams)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 4 cups (950 milliliters) water
- 6 large eggs
- ⅓ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2½ tablespoons chopped smoked sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil), divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1½ tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, divided
- ¼ teaspoon fine table salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs
- In a large saucepan, add water and eggs and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove saucepan from heat, cover and let stand for 15 minutes (add 2 minutes if the eggs were not room temperature).
- Rinse eggs under cold water and peel off shells.
- Cut each egg in half, separate the whites from the yolks and place each white on a plate and all yolks in a small bowl.
- To the bowl of yolks, add yogurt, 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, mustard, 1 tablespoon basil, salt and pepper. Stir until creamy.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add oil and breadcrumbs. Stir until breadcrumbs are lightly browned and toasted.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Fill each egg with approximately 1½ tablespoons of yolk mixture.
- Garnish with a small piece of sun-dried tomato and sprinkle with basil and toasted breadcrumbs.
Note: This recipe can be made up to 24 hours in advance, but do not add garnish and breadcrumbs until ready to serve.
Nutrition per serving: CALORIES 92; TOTAL FAT 5g; SAT. FAT 1g; CHOL. 164mg; SODIUM 265mg; CARB. 4g; FIBER 1g; SUGARS 2g; PROTEIN 8g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in Dijon mustard not available.
Powered by WPeMatico